Founded in 1989, the Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation (CASC) is an educational nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with 93 member institutions representing many of the nation’s most forward-thinking universities and computing centers. CASC is dedicated to advocating the use of the most advanced computing technology to accelerate scientific discovery for national competitiveness, global security, and economic success, as well as develop a diverse and well-prepared 21st-century workforce.
CASC envisions a robust, sustainable ecosystem supporting academic research computing and data services, enabled by a vibrant, diverse community of professionals.
The mission of CASC is to:
- Advocate for the importance of and need for public and private investment in research computing and data services to support academic research.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to federal agencies on the direction of relevant funding programs.
- Actively engage in discussions of policies related to research computing and data services.
- Foster advancement of a robust and diverse community of current and emerging leaders in this field.
- Provide a forum for the community to share strategic ideas and best practices.
Computational science has become the third pillar of the scientific enterprise, a peer with traditional methods of physical experiments and theoretical investigations. Coalition members provide high performance computing (HPC) resources that offer powerful advantages over other research methods, enabling rapid calculations, simulating natural phenomena and environmental challenges, managing and analyzing enormous data sets, and creating insightful visualizations. By applying advanced technology, CASC members help extend the state of the art to achieve scientific, technical, and information management breakthroughs beyond imagination to keep the U.S. at the forefront of the 21st-century knowledge economy.
CASC is hiring! CASC is currently accepting applications for Executive Director. Read the job description for details and how to apply.